Shitali is a cooling pranayama or breathing exercise that is effective in reducing excess heat in the body. Shitali also helps dispel emotions of anger and frustration. It is a practice that brings tranquility and contentment to the mind.
- Sit comfortably, with spine long and in alignment.
- Curl the sides of the tongue up so that they touch each other.
- Close the lips around the tongue, forming a circle.
- Begin to slowing inhale air through the “straw” which is the tongue.
- At the top of the inhalation, release the tongue and close the mouth.
- Exhale out through the nose.
- Continue for up to 10 rounds of breath.
- Sit calmly and notice the cooling effect of this pranayama.